Monday, December 8, 2008

The Bread of Life

Tonight I made bread for sandwiches to go in lunches tomorrow.  The whole wheat has such a nutty flavor!  Everyone in our family LOVES it!  It is hard to keep it around!  I was soooo thankful tonight that I could quickly throw together a batch while doing homework with kids and before Family Home Evening began.  My thanks runneth over for a mother who taught basic homemaking skills that are still with me and are being passed on to a new generation.   My children will undoubtedly have talents very few around them will have!  (Since, it is rare that I can find people my own age that know and foster these skills!)  
Litia enjoys cooking.  Some other chores are definitely NOT her favorites.  Kalina loves helping out any way she can, and cooking is a special favorite!  Fotu enjoys cooking, but would much rather have someone else do it for him.  We assure him that he can only eat when he contributes to the preparation in some way.  The Cooking Merit Badge was the easy byproduct of his newfound desire to help in the kitchen!  
Seneti already loves the feel of flour inside her fingers and making her own little rolls to put in the oven on a little tin.  She thinks she is already the master of the rolling pin, and although it is so hard to manage, she does very well.  A makes a mom burst into giggles while watching her manipulate the huge, heavy tool.  A little one would definitely be more up her alley.  That is something I did as a child with my mom!  Why didn't mom ever let on that our over floured rolls were as HARD AS A ROCK - LITERALLY?  Could it be for the very same reason that I allow my kids to create their own bread-granite masterpieces?  What could make a child more content or a mother more filled with chuckle?
Bread at Christmas!  A symbol of our Savior.  We reflect upon His pre-mortal experiences, His birth, His life, His mission, His gifts, His teachings, His Power, His example, His invitation, His kindness, His love, His obedience.  That is a lot to ponder!  That is a lot to be grateful for!  We need Him!  Let us make room for Him so we can be filled!

No comments: