Saturday, June 26, 2010

Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?

One of my summer projects was to go through a box and organize it. Well, I found this Character Sketch that I wrote for Renee' Hazen's 9th Grade Honors English class. I remember how much I enjoyed writing this short paper. So, here is my memory of Robbie playing baseball. For some reason, when I think of him playing, I don't see him playing on the ball field at Pine View. My mind's eye takes me instead to the field on the North/West side of the Sun Bowl.

A Proud Pine View Panther

The Dixie sun’s blinding glare isn’t blocked by the stubby green grass or the red dirt of the ball diamond; so Robbie shifts the black visor on his cap which outlines the smooth neckline of his neat, short hair. Bronze cheeks set off Robbie’s taught jaw and straight white teeth. A determined glance proves that his true blue eyes are going to help get this job done!

The maroon shirt he fills is centered with a big number eight on the back and Pine View proudly visible on the front. Surprisingly clean, white pants perfectly fit his thin hips ending midway down his legs where black stirrups are set inside well-worn baseball cleats.

Robbie quickly straps his hand into a batters glove and opens and closes it to ensure the gloves perfect fit. Robbie tests the position of his feet in the soft sandy grooves of the batters box. Muscles bulge the terrain in his arms and hands as the bat, now steadied is positioned behind his head. His whipping swing breaks through a fastball, sending a hard line drive squeaking just inside third base. Involuntarily he drops his bat and with agile quick steps sprints to first base.

No comments: